Friday, April 06, 2007

Oddman once again

Last Saturday I competed once again in the Oddman Duathlon. The course was the exact same as last years, and feel and management just as pleasant. For a few more details, have quick read of last years blog post . All the logistics are the same.

As you can tell from reading last year’s entry, I was not very fit and learned a fortnight of training is not enough for me anymore with out a base level of fitness. This year, I signed up about a week earlier, so I had a potential of 22 days to train, which is like a 50% increase of training time off of last year’s preparations. In addition, I was much more active this winter than last, so I was hoping my base fitness was also significantly higher. All told, my goals for the race were simple. 1) Finish (no one likes a DNF or DFL for that matter) 2) Beat Last years time and a stretch goal for number 3) Break 2 hours.

Very happily, I comfortable achieved all three goals, with a time of 1:54:45 (ok, so maybe I didn’t “comfortable break 2 hours”...) I was very much satisfied with these results. My splits were (from my wrist watch, not official splits)

(the course was a 5k Trail run, two loops of a 5mi bike course followed by the another 5k)

R1: 26:49
T1: 01:36
B1: 28:15
B2: 28:00
T2: 02:05
R2: 27:57

So this was 15 minutes faster than last years time, so that made me very happy.

The winner ran it in something like 1 hour and 20 minutes, which reinforces something I’ve thought for quite awhile now....most races are structured to provide an unfair advantage to those who train and are in super fit. Not fair I tell ya !!!

Hopefully I’ll repeat the other two races I competed in last year (a sprint triathlon, and 67km charity ride) to hopefully show that this year, so far is much better year for fitness. I hope it continues!!!

A separate idea kicking around in my head is try an olympic distance triathlon, but I’m such a weak swimmer that 1.5km swim might kill me...(especially when the 800m swim in the sprint last year took me over 22 minutes!!!yikes...I’m sure I could go faster if I just would have floated...)but the olympic distance tri idea is lingering...

No comments: