Friday, April 06, 2007

Aussie Wines

Aussie Wines

My friend posted a few French Wines that he quite enjoys and he laid the guantlet for a responding post with additional recommendations.

First on my list is a wine from Majella Wines, a called "Malleea", it is outstanding red blend wine, bold flavors, strong body, but incredible smooth. A true joy to drink. However, I've never seen it states side. However, I've had all the Majella red's and they are good. So I'd recommend them all from this winery. (If I had to choose, the Shiraz is probably my second favorite after the Malleea from Majella)

In case, Majella does not have an Importer in America, I'll provide a broader recommendation, Currently , South Australia has a stretch of two wine regions that are making some of the best reds I've had, it is very hard to make a bad choice from these two regions. So look for any red from Barossa or Coonawarra (Preferred Choice), and you'll fine a very quality wine. Some wine expert was telling me that in this region the vines are finally old enough to start producing the outstanding wines and that starting from 3 or so years ago and continuing for the next 30 years, this region is at its prime for producing reds.


My next recommendation will be a broad one as well, as I really like boutique wines and there is a good chance that specific one won't have an importer, so the recommendation is a Sparkling Shiraz or Sparking Chambourcin. I've had several from the Hunter Valley region in New South Wales, an there many excellent ones. Since there My advise here, is spend at least $25 US. Sparkling red-wines are little new to most peoples palates, and (trust me) you don't want a below average one. (Apthorpe, and Tambourline wineries each have very good ones if you stumble across them)


Now for a drink-able white. On warm sunny afternoons, a good chilled glass of Verdhelo is quite satisfying. Again, I've had many, many from mostly boutique's. (Tambourline is very good one, as is the Gartelmann's) Verdhelo's can range from super dry, to fruity and tad sweet. My favorites are a hint of fruit, not sweet, but very, very crisp. The wine regions I'd recommend are again Hunter Valley in New South Wales, and this, Margaret River or another Western Australian winery. These make for a very nice table wine, great with a summer meal, or just have a glass or two with friends.

while on the topic of Australia, if you ever go to Hunter Valley, you MUST, MUST, MUST stop at the Binnorie Dairy, and buy (you can try it first if you must, but it'll be a waste of time, just buy it) the Binnorie Marinated Feta, it is other-worldly. Rumor has it that the cheese maker (sp?) spent 5 years in Europe learning from the masters, and he moved to Australia and started this Dairy. Apparently, he took some of this Marinated Feta to a cheese expo in Europe, and internal taste test of the cheese makers, not the critics, it was voted, best cheese at the show.

So in summary, my basic recommendation is anything red from Coonawarra Valley or Barossa Valley, very helpful I'm sure

No comments: