Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Monthly, Quarterly, can't make up my mind, but I've loaned again

My GTD app popped up a reminder that says “loan to more people on Kiva.” So I have, here are 4 new business, you’ll notice they are all women, mainly because on my lender page, I saw that 60% of the business I lent to were men (http://www.kiva.org/lender/mcmastyLoans). This was not on purpose, so I searched for more gender equity.

Loan Purchase of $25 to Lorng Sram (business id=12533)
Loan Purchase of $25 to Simone Ngakoutou (business id=12416)
Loan Purchase of $25 to Mwanahamisi Hassan (business id=12544)
Loan Purchase of $25 to Nekarnodji Octavie (business id=12406)

Had a discussion with a colleague about length of loans that we are funding. An interesting strategy that came out of that, was to loan to people with shorter loan length because you’ll get your original investment back quicker, thus allowing that same initial investment to be used again sooner, enabling more benefit (loans) to be achieved with a single amount of money. Think I’ll start doing that with 1/2 of my new loans, make sure they are the shortest loan lengths I can find.

Along this same thought, is lending frequently, if you fund loans monthly does that optimize the chance that your funds will be returned sooner and thus available for re-loaning ?

No comments: